Although the UK-based Metrodate.com started off as a typical pay site in the dating genre, the site reinvented itself in 2008 and now offers its services 100% free to all members. The company’s earnings come from ad revenue instead of from paid memberships. Even though it is a free dating site, that does not mean it is lacking in features.
|Registration Time||10 minutes|
|Best Perk||Localized Activities|
What We Love
- The fact that the site is 100% free for almost every feature (we say 95% of all features) is a strong “selling point,” so to speak, for the site
- The site is specifically-tailored for the gay community
- There are plenty of young, attractive and active members to choose from
- The interface is quite clean and even a newcomer to online dating can easily figure out how to use the features
- The video chat and other on-site chat features add a spark of social networking to the site
- Overall, the community is vibrant, proud and friendly
- You will never be prompted to pay money while using the site
- It’s easy to get started and to begin finding singles
- Gay Metrodate has over 20 international versions of the site in over two dozen languages
What We Hate
- The live chat features can really get bogged down at times with so many people using them
- The site owners aren’t vigilant about keeping the site clean, so it has a “spammy” quality
- There isn’t much security (read: cleanup) on the site, so the bad element can certainly creep in
- Fake profiles pile up on the site and bog it down
- The premium feature available doesn’t really give you more features than a free membership, at least none worth buying, and you have to go through some strange third-party via a method we can barely explain much less understand
- Through third-party vendor, premium membership is around $29.95/month, but you do not need it as the entire site is 100% free of charge.
The Free and Not So Free
The site is 100% free to use. However, the third-party premium membership is $29.95 per month.